Thursday 20 March 2014

Let's not cry when we draw

I love doing art and crafts with my kids. Doing art can be very therapeutic and since you never know how the piece will turn out, it is exciting at the same time. The rush of pleasure when you complete a good a art piece is very very satisfying.

My kids enjoy drawing a lot. Well, most of the time. My girl is a perfectionist. So although, she's been praised for her drawing skills at home and in school and even selected for an interclass art competition, she still lacks confidence. The other day, she requested we draw a cat together. Just 5 minutes into the activity, she started crying. The body shape is not nice enough, the legs are too skinny... The eyes are not pretty... The ears are uneven... and oh it's SO HARD to erase and redraw. My gawd, she kept crying over every little thing.

It was frustrating not only for her, but for me too and I gave her a piece of my mind. Art is supposed to be enjoyable! Why must you insist on every line being perfect? Just continue with your best efforts and the result might surprise you! What is the use of CRYING???

She just couldn't accept imperfections. And went into her room to sob on her bed.

I felt like I was too mean to her and was guilty. Then I suddenly thought of... YUNHO! Haha.

I told my girl who looked up to Yunho, that once he had to draw a rhinoceros and failed terribly at it. He didn't get upset, instead he laughed at himself. Sometimes, your drawing just won't turn out the way you want it. Like Yunho's.

"Did you laugh too mama?" she asked. "Oh yes I did! I laughed A LOT. It was sooooooo funny. You would laugh too." I went on saying Yunho's failure at drawing one picture doesn't change my admiration and respect for him at all.

I let them watch Running Man ep 27, the drawing relay mission. Have you seen that episode with TVXQ? It was hilarious. And it was the first time I saw Yunho and Changmin. If you haven't and are planning to, you should probably not watch this clip of Yunho's famous rhino. :p

(spoiler alert)


I was serious when I said this episode is hilarious. I have watched all the Running Man episodes save for a couple. Only a handful got me in stitches. It's because of this darn rhino. Haha. So so so funny. Watch the full subbed episode here.

The kids guffawed at many instances. My girl shook her head, pointed to Joongki and said "This guy.. or is it a girl? He really cannot draw." Damn right. :p

She commented that Changmin was good but Yunho was pretty bad. Hahaha. We went on to finish the episode. I could tell the girl was full of admiration for the boys because she would exclaim how good their dance moves were, how they never made any mistakes, how strong they were, how quick Yunho was etc.

We had a good time chuckling togther. I hope she got the point in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment